Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Bygone Era of Music Retail

The technological transition brought a tectonic shift in the music industry. I reminisce about the days of cassettes and Walkman. During that time definition of happiness was buying cassettes from a music retail store. I am gripped by nostalgia whenever I go back home only to play my Walkman and I say to myself those were the days. In the early 90s, the main source of killing time was the music of 80s and 90s. The sources of entertainment were limited but were ample. There was sublime beauty in it. It was ethereal. I have been lucky enough to have heard songs and dialogues of yesteryears cinema on gramophone records.
And I vividly remember when I used to book the latest hip songs cassette by giving an advance amount to my music retailer. As the years went by, I witnessed the demise of cassettes. With the advent of CDs and DVDs, suddenly cassettes became obsolete. Seeing it breathe last in front my eyes was indeed an overwhelming experience.
At that juncture of my life, it seemed never ending thing which in fact ended in front of me. The quality of sound is unmatched to the endeavour that currently music industry has achieved through technological manoeuvres. Maybe I have moved on and got enticed by the better quality. If millennials like me have ever heard gramophone or cassette player then they know they are those beautiful things which we want to stay with us throughout our life.
Summing up in Walkman-style ‘Play the moments, pause the memories. Stop the pain, rewind the happiness.”

No comments:

Post a Comment