Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Did you just say ‘Unavailable’?

The city was bustling with heavy traffic accompanying many halts. I along with my wife was stuck in traffic jam. So while waiting, I casually gazed up to see billboards carrying advertisement of some cosmetics giant featuring a drop-dead gorgeous model. It was simply wow.  It is said that beauty is power; a smile is its sword. No one can even deny. That’s why I had a feeling of déjà vu and even suffered a momentary lapse. Just then my better half sitting right beside me stares at me and replicates that magical smile. I immediately knew why?
After office hours, I pick her from office and rush to the nearest mall. There I witness a plethora of mesmerizing billboards, standees’, display boards and many POPs (point of purchase). My spouse decides to go to a Cosmetics Giant Store. She intended to buy that same product she saw on the billboard during the traffic jam. A lady greeted her and said, ”Ma’am, how can I help you?” My wife inquired about the exact same brand she saw today. However, the store officials informed about its unavailability and felt embarrassed.
This is one among millions of stories revolving around one common issue of unavailability. How can a cosmetics giant have such a redundant supply chain? It’s like a wrinkle in their supply chain and logistics. If any business loses the female customer then she along with many are lost automatically. Women fraternity are indeed powerful customers and are someone you can seldom ignore. Handling cosmetics logistics requires expertise in many areas. As a supply chain and logistics head, you need to keep track of stock outs and excessive stock. Predictive analytics canstreamline and boost your inventory management. Because doing it manually is definitely an asinine idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment