Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Stock Out is No Excuse!

“Wake Up!” she screamed pulling off the quilt from my face. ‘Alright, but sweetheart it’s Sunday’ I replied lazily. Anyway, with limited options and screams that reverberate in your ears, I finally woke up. Like any usual Sunday, I quickly freshened up and got ready. My sweetheart takes out the car and I get in for the ride to the nearest superstore. There was heavy traffic on the roads so to relax my better half I switched on the stereo to play some legendary rock numbers. My wife gleefully smiled at me and said, “Undoubtedly, you have a great choice.” “I know, you are a proof of it” I replied. Then after some shared laughter, some rock n roll and head banging stuff, we finally reach the FMCG store. My wife takes out the product list and rushes towards the store grabbing my hand.
Well, Sunday can’t be a fun day if you are at the store. The store is already brimming with customers. Sunday rush and the enthusiastic customers from all over the city is a very chaotic scene to witness. But amidst the rush, there are few screams of unavailability. My wife held the beacon of those few screams. She was looking for refined oil of certain brand and that was out of stock at the moment. ‘When it was selling so fast then why didn’t you keep more in stock?’ my wife literally yelled at the store manager.
However, she was indeed right. The store manager was flummoxed. He apologized and after that, my wife rushed to another supermarket to get that product.
In multi-billion dollar FMCG retail market, apologies to the customers about stock out won’t work. And monthly or quarterly or yearly inventory check will always contradict the demands. Ideally, daily inventory check is the solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment