Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Future of Retail with Drones & Land Robotics

I sluggishly peeked into my smartphone, opened an application and started browsing. I was constantly nagged by my girlfriend to buy dark shades. So I ordered one. The company promised the delivery time of just 20 minutes. After 15 minutes, I went to my balcony and looked up in the sky and was startled to see thousands of drones hovering up there.  On an informed guess, I could say that they were carrying pizzas, burritos, beers and probably my dark shades. One drone was approaching my balcony.  The drone sent notification on my phone regarding unique and secure access to get the product. As the clock counted 17 minutes, the drone landed in my balcony with a humming sound and a voice said, ”Hi John! Please scan your unique and secure access on me for the release of the product”.  Excitedly, I rushed towards it and did the same.
It was an awe-inspiring and enthralling experience to receive the product in such a short duration. Afterwards, I went on a date with my girlfriend. As we were sipping coffee and chatting, the waiter came and said,” Ma’am, your product has arrived on the land robot.” The land robot was exactly the replica of your product on wheels. And it was like a cute artificially intelligent trolley. My girlfriend scanned her unique and secure access and screamed, ”Surprise!” I was flabbergasted.
Drones and land robotics are going to shape the retail landscape in distant future so that you have seamless shopping experience. Big companies are doing all this as their pilot project. Optimistically, it won’t take more than 5-7 years for it to be implemented and realistically maybe a decade. But it will happen in near future no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment